Tuesday, May 3, 2011

“Chameleons Change Colour To Blend In With Their Surroundings”.

 Myth -“Chameleons change colour to blend in with their surroundings”.   Changing colour for chameleons is a form of communication. This they can do quite quickly, some showing blues, yellows, browns, reds and pinks to name but a few.  They also make interesting patterns. They have specialized cells under the top layer of transparent skin called chromatiophores which allow the pigment to change causing the effect of colour change.

Usually dark colours signal aggression or bad health.  Bright colours are for signalling courtship or in females signalling that she is carrying eggs.

I have kept and witnessed chameleons in the wild and have learned just by looking at the different shades of colour how my own chameleons are feeling. I had a pet male chameleon once who became very unhappy. It was puzzling me for a while till I found out there were high amounts of carbon monoxide in his room.  Luckily I found out in time, after a week he was back to a normal happy green self.